Thursday 13 March 2008

28/2/08 - 13/3/08

Games I've been playing this week:

Ok, so I missed a post last week, so today you're getting two weeks for the price of one!

X-men: Next Dimension: Once again, it's X-men, so it was pretty obvious I'd like this game even if it wasn't so great. Definitely an enjoyable game but very hard when playing against the computer opponents. I couldn't work out how to get my characters to do any kind of ranged attacks, so I'd be constantly getting beaten as I just attempted to get close enough to the other character in order to just hit them. Apart from this problem, which can be overcome with practice, I found the range of moves and ease of executing them to be very good. Definitely one I'll have to play more (even better if I can get a human opponent).

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks: I've always loved Mortal Kombat games. Ever since I spent a day just sat with my old Master System, working out all the special moves for all the characters on the original. I even have the first film on DVD! I own Mortal Kombat Gold for the Dreamcast and it's not very good. Shaolin Monks has renewed my love of the series. It's not a traditional "beat-em-up" like other MK games, instead (in single-player mode, at least) it's more like an
RPG, but with the bonus of keeping a beat-em-up style fighting system. So rather than just hitting one button repeatedly, so you can hack and slash with a sword, you get to perform combos and (the ever-popular) fatalities.

Burnout 3: Takedown: I've mentioned this game before, but I thought it deserved another mention. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm getting better at this game. This is pretty much unheard of for me in a racing game. I've found I'm no longer just holding the accelerate button all the way and bouncing off the sides of the track, rather than braking and turning properly. I'm being strategic and learning when to boost and when not to, so I don't go flying into some obstacle. This learning is making me enjoy the game even more and I'm finding I enjoy redoing tracks over and over, learning how to drive them best and how to get the best times. My one complaint is that I can't edit the playlist enough so that I don't have to hear some of the horrible tracks on there (New Found Glory and My Chemical Romance, I'm looking at you).