Thursday 17 July 2008

I've got a fever...

Rock Band: I tried out Guitar Hero a while ago and I was rather unimpressed. The game was too far removed from actually playing guitar and I really didn't get on well with it. But I still wanted to try Rock Band. Mostly, I just wanted a chance to try out the vocal section as well as the drums. I must say, the vocal section is lots of fun and I really enjoyed it. Although, I did find it difficult with songs I didn't know well (or even ones I did but didn't know the lyrics to, such as Welcome Home by Coheed & Cambria). The addition of the tamborine (or cowbell on (Don't fear) The reaper) was interesting. On some songs it was good, whereas others it just felt really out of place. I had another attempt at the guitar/bass and found it to be a lot more usable than when I first tried it. As for the drums, I found them to be pretty horrible. Being an actual drummer, I just didn't get on with the layout of the "drum kit". It also didn't help that what I was meant to play was nothing like what I would actually play to any of the songs. Maybe with practice, I'd get on with it more, but for now it just makes me feel stupid. Overall, the game is definitely great as a group game, especially if you just set it on the lower levels and worry more about having fun than accuracy.